Cue the cliche canal photos and to do lists after a long weekend in the city known for sex, drugs and bikes.
With around 1500 bridges and what feels like more bikes than people, the Dutch capital is a canal maze with colourful markets, smoky coffee shops and museums left right and centre.
Things to do:
- Book in advance and beat the line for a tour of Anne Frank’s house.
- Visit Bloemenmarkt, the worlds only floating flower market.
- Find the famous ‘I am Amsterdam’ sign.
- Go to Vondel Park, the largest park in Amsterdam and the most famous park in the Netherlands.
- Get lost in the Jordann district, a trendy area full of cafes and colourful buildings.
- Walk the red light district both in the day and at night and see a whole different meaning to window shopping.
- Wander around Dam square, the main shopping area in the city.
- Explore a house boat.
Museums and galleries:
Navigating the cities art work and museums can be hard work, but there is definitely something for everyone.
- Pop in to the sex museum close to central station and stand near an 8ft penis.
- Take a look at some modern and contemporary art at the Moco museum and see which exhibition is currently on.
- Go to the Van Gough museum and see the ‘Sunflowers’ masterpiece.
- Learn about the history of the Netherlands in the Rijksmuseum.
There are so many ways to get from A to B in the city, some a lot easier than others.
- Take a canal tour and enjoy the city and history from the water.
- Follow the locals, or be the ultimate tourist, and take your chances with cars, trams and people by renting a bike.
- Hire a canal bike (pedalo) and pedal your way around the canals.
Food and drink:
For some reason Amsterdam has a reputation for potato and pancakes, but don’t forget to try the cheese and Heineken.
- Visit the ice bar and drink beer and shots from glasses made out of ice.
- Explore the cheese shops and taste some samples.
- Go on a journey through the world of Heineken at The Heineken Experience.
- Visit a coffee shop, a café where cannabis and other soft drugs are sold.
- Grab a huge cone of fries covered in sauce from Mannekein Pis.
- Eat Chinese food at the Sea Palace, the first floating restaurant in Europe.